As I prepare for my surgery in the next few weeks, I am getting both my body and my mind in healthy, sound shape. Eat, rest, spend time with family and friends, repeat. Crossword puzzles, crochet, movies, afternoons poolside and good music...all the makings of a relaxing summer day! As you might expect from me, food features prominently in this routine. As a foodie and chef I look at ways to increase a clean, heart-healthy diet: lots of protein-rich grains, nuts, fish, fruit and vegetables. But as a pastry chef and a food anthropologist, I cannot deny the important role of food as a therapeutic experience--the social and psychological role of food in our well-being.
So in the spirit of celebrating food's role in both our bodily and soulful health, here is a recipe for my new favorite cookies: a vegan twist on the chocolate chip cookie, adapted from the Oh She Glows blog. I've reduced the sugar from her original recipe and omitted the dates, but feel free to add other dry fruit. This satisfies my sweet tooth while also giving me the heart-healthy bonuses of nuts and oats in a low fat and low sugar form! I usually double the below recipe, c'mon!
1 3/4 c. pecans, toasted and ground up
2 c. old fashion oats (1 c. ground with nuts)
3/4 c. all purpose flour
1/4 c. unpacked brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. finely ground sea salt
1/2 c. maple syrup
3 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
2 Tbsp. milk or almond milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. chocolate chips
Combine all the dry ingredients in one bowl and set aside. Combine all the wet ingredients together in another bowl and whisk to combine. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix to combine. Fold in chocolate chips. Dough will be a bit crumbly so use your hands to shape into round balls. Flatten onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, spread 2 inches apart. Bake at 350F for about 12 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet for another 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Above is a song I've been listening to recently: a real fun, song with great lyrics by Brandi Carlile.
Below are images of how I've been keeping my heart young lately! Enjoy!










No comments:
Post a Comment