It's the home stretch! Less than a week to surgery now! Woo hoo! Tomorrow I go in for my pre-operative work: blood tests, lab tests, chest X-ray and a CT scan. It's starting to feel real now. The long wait I thought I'd be frustrated with turned out not to feel so excruciatingly long. The last few weeks have gone by quickly. I have been spending a lot of time with family and friends: socializing, visiting, reconnecting. It has been good. Really good. It has reminded me of how much love surrounds and envelopes me as I go forward with this surgery and recovery. Most visits have been simple: sharing a meal, a beverage, an ice cream; watching the Dodger game together, binge-watching House of Cards together; doing a jigsaw puzzle together, crocheting together; laughing together. I haven't been doing much but my days have been very full. Full of togetherness. It has been calming and grounding. It has felt good to be reminded of what sustains me: the shared experiences. As the surgery nears, it's easy to get lost in thoughts, to overthink things, to get stuck in my head. Opening myself up to the love, support, and prayers from you, my family and friends, is my fortifying therapy--that and the laughter we share together. So thank you! And keep it coming!
In the spirit of the strength we share through togetherness, I want to share with you that however strong or brave I appear, I too have moments of fear and weakness and helplessness. In those moments I summon the spirits of other people in my life whose strength, endurance and courage inspire me: Ann Earhart, Marguerite Earhart, Carol Wolfe, Calvin Bosick, Dean Kieffaber, Margaret Hillyer, Ronni Schwartz, Lisa Greenwood, and the incredible spirit of Gloria Borges. Gloria Borges, a friend from high school who battled colon cancer for three years had a truly awesome blog that I encourage everyone to read:
http://www.wunderglo.com/ Relish the simple shared experiences of togetherness; embrace and be embraced!
 |
| Sharing a squeeze with Hannah in Cardiff |
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. And the God of peace will be with you." Philippians 4:8-9.
No comments:
Post a Comment