And now that another month has come and gone, I might as well get back to blogging! April has been filled with disorienting and spectacular adventures: weekend trips to Brittany and Stratford-upon-Avon, family and friend visits, intense essay writing, a Royal Wedding, too many bank holidays, and one of the warmest and sunniest Aprils on record for England! It has been an unexpectedly busy and incredible April.
The month started out with explorations of Bloomsbury, Greenwich, Hampstead, and Brighton with Kim, Ryan's mom. We feasted on cream teas, hiked around London's green spaces, explored historic estates (Osterley) and soaked up the sunshine. It was a memorable, relaxed, fun, and delicious time. We did not want the joyous, laughter filled week to end. Come back, Kim! We miss you!
After a couple days of study, we were off to Paris and Brittany to visit Aida and Marion, two of Ryan's good friends from Exeter. Not only did I get sunburned in Paris (which I've never so giddily embraced as after a sun-deprived English winter) but I also got swept away by the charm, beauty, warmth, and hospitality of St. Malo. We learned how to make proper crepes (crepes are originally from Brittany), toured Mont St. Michel, were guided around medieval Dinan by adorable Fra Fra (Marion's great-aunt) and lived it up as a local in Marion's seaside cottage. I did not know how satisfying living a life on bread, butter, cheese, and wine alone could be. It was paradise.
After another few days of studying back in London, we were off to Stratford-upon-Avon for a Mills Conference--a national convening of farmers, millers, and bakers in which I helped represent the Real Bread Campaign. It was the farthest north I've yet been in England and it was perfectly picturesque.
Back in London we welcomed Jen and Nick, California friends, for a few nights before they embarked on a three week long trip to Ireland and Liverpool. We exhausted them with walks through London and in turn had to keep up with them over the pints of ale and glasses of Pimm's we enjoyed at the Spaniards Inn in the beautiful sunshine. What fun!!
And then it was nose to the grindstone with an intense week and a half of essay writing (over 12,000 words or about 35 pages) and then, phew...term 2 is over! Wow! Where has this year gone?! I'm finished with classes and now have a month long period of exams before the summer (and dissertation writing) begins. As I enter the final period of my MA program, and reflect back upon my time in England, I realize that my time here has been much like this past month of April: full of wonderful, unexpected surprises and adventures, punctuated by the merriment and warmth of good friends and delicious meals.
If only Ella had experienced a spring like this in England..."this is a feeling that no one can ever reprise."
No comments:
Post a Comment