Monday, January 18, 2016

2016: A year for remodeling


It's a new year!  And a new year means more lifeanother year of possibilities, experiences, adventures, trials, accomplishments, struggles, growth, joys, travel, and delicious meals.  Hooray for new years!

I am nearing 5 months since my surgery last August and it has been almost exactly one year since I went to my cardiologist with concerns that things were noticeably changing with my heart's function.  One yearwhat a trip this year has been!  It's been a year that required immense flexibility, creativity and patience as I went through the changes and transitions of declining health, surgery and then slowly improving health!  It has also been a year of humilitybeing humbled by the immense love and support of my families and friends and most particularly my parents and husband.  This year, at the age of 31, I have come to appreciate that no matter how old I am, I will always need my parents--not in a moocher-type-of-way (they hope!) but in a "your-love-and-support-strengthens-and-empowers-me-type-of-way".  And that's nice.  You can't get too old for that.

Another great thing about this past year (beside more life and the affirmation of family love) is that this year has upgraded me to quasi-bionic!  Ever since The Terminator I've always been a little bit jealous of people with rebuilt knees and metal plates in their bodies because they could call themselves bionic.  Now, not only do I have a donor valve (which is cool enough!) but I've also been upgraded to bionic status with a bio-prosthetic valve, putting me in the company of Darth Vader and the Terminator.  That's very nice.  I might just live to be 105!

And now for this year...what will it hold?
My visit to the cardiologist last week showed my heart to be recovering very well: BP and heart rate are normal, mild pulmonary regurgitation and flow turbulence, good heart function and a strong heart muscle.  I've re-started an ACE inhibitor, not for blood pressure reasons but to assist with 'reverse heart remodeling' as my heart continues to heal and improve in shape and function.  The theme of remodeling will continue to echo throughout the year as Ryan and I undertake the happy task of making a home out of our vintage trailer!

I wish everyone a 2016 full of life, good health and fruitful remodeling!

"When everything else changes our love will stay the same." Brandi knows best.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the bionic ranks. Please see the training-coordinator to get you up to speed in pure-organics purification plans. Our time is near.
-N

Unknown said...

Well, you didn't bother to call while in the bay area but that's not a problem. I hope you continue your recovery without drama. Is the trailer going to be a tiny house? I want pictures. Love from us to you and Ryan.

dj & Connie

Post a Comment