Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Giving thanks in October

October is here!  Wow!  I am excited and ready for autumn!  Yesterday was exactly six weeks post-op and four weeks of being home.  I celebrated the day by getting lots of stuff done at Keck USC hospital: visited the cardiologist, EKG, lab work done, coumadin clinic, and delivered thank you cards and boxes of See's candy to the nurses/doctors/units that I stayed with during my two week hospital stay.

My doctor visit went well: heart and lungs sound really good, vitals are all normal, echo is scheduled for next week, INR is good (not fabulous but good enough) and my sternal precautions are over!  I can drive, fly, and move around much more than before, though I am still encouraged not to do much lifting for another two months while the sternum fully heals.  I've completely stopped two of my medications and am starting to be weaned off two others.  This is the best piece of news!  I have been having bouts of nausea and headaches throughout the past week, something attributed to a couple of my medications which are hard to be on for very long.  So I'm overjoyed to be stopping some of them and reducing the others.

My energy levels improve daily and I have been doing more and more socially, bit by bit.  I had a super wonderful visit from my sister-in-law and niece and nephew, which included a trip to the LA Zoo (yes, I rocked the electric wheelchair, granny style!) and a couple of great family dinners.  I also went to a Dodger game with the family to celebrate October birthdays last week.  Even though I felt nauseous before the game, I managed to scarf down a Dodger dog, some nachos, peanuts and cracker jacks.  Miraculous and tasty.

I also have been slowly building up my physical endurance.  I walked 1.2 miles with my niece and nephew to see 'Aneilia the pig' in Sierra Madre and I walked another 1.3 miles with my mom on Saturday.  You'll be happy to hear I ate my pie.  :)

What's next?  Beginning to get on with my life.  Everything has been on hold since July and I'm itching to get back to being a busy, ambitious, industrious lady.  I've been impressed with how long it is taking to get back to that point.  I guess the last time around I just mostly slept though my sophomore high school classes and it didn't make a huge difference.  It's been hard as an adult to sideline responsibilities and forfeit participation in life's happenings.  It has made me acutely aware of how fortunate I am to have a medical condition that is manageable with a recovery period that is short-lived and temporary.  The many people who live with chronic illness or disabilities and yet do not let it inhibit their engagement and achievements in society and life--these are people whose grit and tenacity inspires me.

Here's to entering the holiday season full of thanks and continuing good health!

2 comments:

angelcakeslee said...

Hi Emily!

My name is Angel - nice to virtually meet you! We've never met, but your chocolate cream pie (and DIVINE pie crust) & I met at Mother Moo's sometime last year. It was a chance encounter that I was hoping would turn into a relationship, but that pie crust was not there the only other time I've been to Moo's since. I took one bite of a look-alike coconut cream pie and knew it wasn't the same :( I was devastated. I still dream about that pie crust every so often (like today), so I did some internet stalking and here I am :)

I'm sorry to see that you're going through tough times with your heart, but glad to see you're recovering!

I was wondering if you're still baking? I love to bake as well, but pie crusts hate me. If you're up to it in the next few months, would you consider giving me a pie tutorial and sharing some recipes? Let me know! I would of course pay you for your time and swap some deliciousness if you'd like.

If you didn't think this was too stalker-y, you can reach me via e-mail at ms.angel.lee@gmail.com or cell phone 626.524.1183

XO,
Angel

Unknown said...

Hi Emily ... Do you remember me..Nooch? We worked at Jodie's together. I heard about your surgery from DJ... I was worried about you but I saw here in your blog that you are getting better everyday. It's such a good news!! I'm glad that I heard something from you again. Any other way to contact you? I'm not a fan of the blogger things. Do you have facebook or email that we could catch up each other again? Let me know via p.saikwan@gmail.com. ...xoxo

Post a Comment