Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Ode to the Hot Water Bottle

A quick post about a non-food related, but exceptionally exhilarating new discovery that deserves its own separate post: hot water bottles. While not a new invention (containers for warmth in bed date back to the 16th century), and not exclusive to England, having grown up in Southern California where a cold house is 65F (18C), I've never owned, let alone seen a hot water bottle before!

When we arrived last weekend in chilly Tollesbury, with the temperature registering at 14F (-10C), David offered me a hot water bottle, encased in a knitted hot pink covering.

"I like the hot pink," I told David.
"Well I just bought it anticipating your delicate sensibilities," he replied with a smile.

I tried to defend my sensibilities as being very strong, but who was I kidding? I couldn't wait to get into bed with that hot water bottle at my feet. I watched with awe as David poured freshly boiled water into the inner rubber lining. Pushing the water to the opening to let any air escape, he screwed on the cap with the precision of a scientist. As I lovingly carried the hot pink water bottle upstairs, it grew warmer and warmer and I could barely contain my amazement and excitement!

In bed with the bottle at my feet, the chill from the sheets immediately evaporated and my icy feet were warm and cozy in minutes. The area around the bottle started getting untouchably hot, so I moved the bottle around. With careful navigation and timing, I was able to get the entire bed thoroughly warmed, relieve my lower back aches, and comfort my digesting stomach all in a matter of minutes! "What an invention! Pure genius," I thought! Except now I was too excited to go to sleep. The warm embrace of the bed quickly lured me to sleep and when I awoke in the morning, refreshed by an incredibly peaceful night's sleep, I noticed a sliver of warmth still emanating from the pink bottle. Wow! I was beyond impressed. See my morning-after face in the above photo--that's the face of a restful, warm night of sleep.

Just when I thought I was the queen of sleep, a new device has showed me the truth: I have much to learn about warm sleeping technologies in England. And its eco-friendly too! You don't have to run the heater all night with a hot water bottle at your side!

I'm jumping into bed with a hottie tonight!

1 comment:

Colleen said...

Please don't forget "Trolley" for "Speedrack"!!!

Post a Comment